West Michigan Healthy Asian Project is a program under the West Michigan Asian American Association Inc. based in Grand Rapids, Michigan
Our goal is to offer Asian individuals with the support and connections to resources that can put you in control of your health.
· To assist individuals to enroll for medical coverage: Marketplace or Healthy Michigan Plan.
· To establish connections to a medical, vision and dental services.
· To identify goals and create an individual plan with medical, vision and dental health providers.
· To monitor your health and wellness by providing you with community resources to learn about nutrition, physical activities and well-being.
· To utilize trained bilingual interpreters to assist you in navigating through various health systems.
To learn more and be included in our mailing list for information about upcoming health education workshops contact WMAAA at:
Languages and phone number
(616)540-7905 or (616)706-1912
English and all other languages: (616)481-6194
The Impact of Health Care Reform
The enactment of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act on March 23, 2010 set the foundation for historic changes to our country’s health care system. These changes address many of the inefficiencies and dysfunctions of the current health care system and help to end some of the worst abuses of the insurance industry.
Access and Affordability for Individuals and Families
One of the most important things that health care reform will do is improve access and affordability for individuals and families. Nationally, more than one in six of Asian Americans, and one in four Native Hawaiians and Pacific Islanders are uninsured and even more are underinsured.
Competitive Health Insurance Markets
In addition, health reform will help lower costs and improve the quality of health care by creating new competitive health insurance markets and improving the coordination of care for people with chronic conditions. The law also expands initiatives to increase racial and ethnicity diversity in the health care professions, and requires health plans to communicate to consumers in way that they understand. Visit this webpage for updates and explanations of the impact that health care reform will have on you, your families and communities.
(For more information on healthcare for Asian Americans, Pacific Islanders and Hawaiians go to www.apiahf.org